Faith, Fun, Help and
Straight Street is a safe place for youth to get help for them and their family
The mission and purpose of Straight Street is to provide a positive Christian environment where at-risk* youth can go and obtain the necessary skills and training needed to mature and to discover God’s Divine plan for their lives.
In the “Last Mile of Need” are individuals and families who have unmet needs, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual. The local church has a unique ability to reach those in the “Last Mile of Need” because they are in close relationship to and understand the specific needs of their community.
Reaching more people in your community requires a growing team, additional resources and a more effective strategy to meet people where they are. Our collaborative network helps churches scale up for greater impact.
Jesus met needs and redeemed lives, both were important to Him and the church is called to do the same. We supply churches with tangible items like food, furniture, apparel and household necessities. Churches are resourced to fulfill their purpose and meet the needs of their community.
We help churches discover new ways to reach those who are hurting in their neighborhoods and around the world. The 10 CityServe Initiatives address broad categories of community engagement based on God’s biblical template.
What We Believe
All those who participate in the ministry of Straight Street carry out its mission under the authority of the Holy Scriptures. All regular and volunteer staff shall subscribe to the following articles of faith.
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible Word of God.
2. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, and His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that for salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
5. We believe in the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death. We also uphold the holy institution of marriage between one man and one woman, rooted as it is in God’s creation of man and woman in His image and in the relationship between Christ and His Church
6. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
7. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
8. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Many people ask us why we do not call ourselves “Straight Street Christian Youth Center”. This is something we purposed from the beginning not to do. We prefer to describe ourselves as a youth center staffed by Christians, rather than a Christian Youth Center. One of our primary goals is not only to encourage the Christian youth, but to evangelize the unsaved youth. We have found that if we attach the word “Christian” to our ministry, a number of those we are trying to reach mistake us for a church.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Your generosity makes our work possible. Whether you contribute financially or as an advocate for good.
Your church can help us reach the hearts of kids in Roanoke by serving them,
Get involved and stay up to date with all that is going on at Straight Street.